Thursday, January 22, 2009

Learning Independence

This week Caley helped me move her clothes into new drawers, ones that are easier for her to open. I realized that she was completely dependent on an adult to get dressed, not because she can't put clothes on, she couldn't get to her clothes! So we moved them into the smaller dresser with handles closer together so she can open them. I don't know why we didn't do this sooner because it makes my job so much easier. I just ask her to go get changed and she does it! Brilliant! Knowing how to get her needs met is just as valuable a skill as knowing her letters from the reading book. 
The only "downside" is that she comes up with some interesting shirt/pants combinations. This week alone she's worn her Mars Hill VBS shirt three times (it wasn't dirty)! Oh well, it's not like she has a classroom of peers to make fun of her fashion sense, I only care that she's clothed.

No comments: