Wednesday, August 19, 2009

VBS 2009

We just finished a week of fun in the sun, I mean mud, at VBS. The curriculum was "Upward Bound" and it was a camping/outdoors theme, which was fitting because it was held in a park behind some apartments in Mountlake Terrace partly as an outreach to the residents there, but there were mostly Mars Hill families. I served in the nursery and Caley and Amelia were in their own classes without me. It was wonderful to see them be part of a group without my being there every second. I especially liked watching Caley. Now that we're going to scrap homeschooling and enroll her in a preschool, but it was extremely helpful to see her in a group of peers with teachers. I observed that Caley sometimes "dilly-dallys" instead of being on task. To her credit though, there were at least 20 kids in her class and there's only so many adults. She was singing the songs and always did her craft and proudly showed it to me at the end of the day. She always waved hello when walking past my class, and sometimes even while she was in another station like storytime. She had her friends that she played with, and I was very thankful she played well with one particular friend Lenora. Caley was also very excited every day to see "The Hiker" who, in her words, is "the guy who was at our house for a long long time." She means Pastor Dick from our church who recently did some work on our back deck.
VBS was fun, exhausting, but well-worth every minute.

No comments: