Friday, September 25, 2009

Weekly Wrap Up- Some Days are Better than Others

This week had it's ups and downs. I think I know why, because I overscheduled us. I was stressed out which just makes everyone else on edge. I feel like God is teaching me to SLOW DOWN and put my family first, always. Wednesday was the hardest day, and thankfully Thursday was one of the best days ever, so it all evens out.
Monday we visited Jennie and Micah because Jennie is on bedrest for her 2nd pregnancy. The girls had fun playing with a friend they don't see often. We didn't get to lessons on Monday, and sweezed them into Tuesday before women's group. I decided to scrap the K12 math curriculum, it's too boring for Caley! No colors, weird illustrations, odd directions. So for math we are just doing a Preschool Basics workbook. When she's done with the current one, we'll move onto another. We also started a new memory verse, Genesis 1:1, to stay with what she's learning in Sunday School. We've done this verse before, so it's been pretty easy for Caley, but now we can spend time teaching it to Amelia. Amelia likes doing the hand motions.

Wednesday we went to Jennie's again, then grocery shopping. We hit Costco and snuck in an impromptu "lesson!" On the way out Caley said, "I smell tea" (she means coffee), so I told her it was because of the grinding stations at the front of the store. We wheeled over there to investigate and she looked at the coffee-ground covered grinder and leftovers below it. Just at that time someone went to grind their coffee, so we stayed to watch. It was a fun diversion! Afterward we made a few more stops and it took longer than I expected and things went south. Hence my earlier comment about Wednesday being the worst day.
Thursday I cancelled our original plans and had a home day. Beautiful! No schedule, just cleaning and getting things done. The girls played nicely most of the day, took good naps, and I felt like a much happier and healthier mom. Bill had a doctor's appointment early and came home afterward before leaving for work. He played with the girls and Caley said, "I'm going to squeeze you tight so you never go to work!"

Friday we did lessons and had a great time working on Handwriting Without Tears. Caley is transitioning from using the cards to using the blank blue mat. She had to look closely at the card and match it, and did great! We also did her workbook and worked on beginning sounds and rhyming. The girls also built with blocks which we are borrowing from the library, what a steal!! Awesome quality Lakeshore blocks for a 3-week loan: the best!! It's part of the library system's "learning kits." Today I used a few opportunities to reinforce math concepts during her play, one being distinguishing heavy and light (heavy wooden block, light foam block), and counting out 5 chips in each bowl for their snacks.
We also made a pumpkin craft which reinforced fine motor manipulation of a paintbrush, shapes and body parts. I also thought it was interesting to see the difference in Caley and Amelia's final product. Caley's is on the the left, Amelia's on the right. Process over product!

I'll leave you with this cute picture. They prefer to be naked, or at least shirtless, most of the day!

No comments: