Thursday, January 24, 2013

My plan for KONOS

konosOne of the things I LOVE about our curriculum (and a huge reason I decided on it) is that it can be used for multiple ages and learning stages and re-used. I mapped out what volume we will use each year and basically one volume covers two school years, there are three volumes total, and we will re-study each volume every six years. So right now we are studying volume 2, Courage unit. We will study this same material again in 2018-19 (Caley would be in 9th grade, Amelia in 7th, Wesley in 5th, and Della in 4th). HOLY COW I just wrote that my BABY will someday be in 4th grade!! However, I will amend the plan as needed and probably study elections and presidents every four years (at least) to capitalize on the election cycle.

This is my loose plan. Of course, we will ask Jesus each year if he has different plans for our children's schooling, and as Caley and Amelia reach middle school and high school age we may "outsource" some things. Right now I am looking into Family Academy.

Sometimes I get self conscious about all this. It's really a part of my sanctification that we are homeschooling. I went into it with the wrong motives. I wanted to get the credit if my kids turned out well. God quickly smashed those idols in my face. I am nothing if I am not following Him. My good motives are bad unless I am following Him. My children are created to image HIM, not me. 
-------------------------------------------------
This is from the KONOS website, for reference.
VOLUME I
Attentiveness
Ears/Eyes/Other Senses
Sound/Music/Frontiersman/ Indians
Tracking & Trapping
Birds

Obedience
Authority/Light/Bible
Kings and Queens
Military
Friction/Resistance
Horses
Crime and Punishment

Orderliness
Sequencing/Counting/Measuring
Planets/Moons
Calendars/Seasons
Animal Classification
Plant Classification
Rock Classification

Trust
Deception/Illusion
Sheep/Weaving
Floating/Ships
Flight/Airplanes

Patience
Plant growth/Gardening
Grain/Bread/Yeast
Human Birth/Growth
Animal Birth/Growth

Stewardship
Ecology/Conservation
Managing Time and Money
Possessions/Career
Abuse/Prevention
Nutrition/Exercise/Rest/Fun

Honor
Attributes of God/Hymns
Pottery and Sculpture
Tabernacle
Cathedral/Church Architecture
Countries/Cultures
Kindness/Service/Etiquette


VOLUME II
Inquisitiveness
Research/Reference
Scientist/Scientific Method
Explorers/Navigation/Sailing
Earth
Weather
Africa
Detectives

Responsibility
Pet Care
Beavers
Ants
American Settlers
Colonial America

Love/Generosity
Christmas
Easter
Valentines Day

Courage
New Testament Men
Modern and Fictional Men
American Revolution

Wisdom
Proverbs/Old Testament
Choices/Safety
Government
U.S. Constitution
Presidents
Electoral Process

Loyalty
Family/Friends/Marriage
Immigration/Citizenship


VOLUME III
Cooperation
Systems of the Body
Bees
States and Regions
Town/Community
Family/Church

Determination
Olympics and physical skills
Handicaps
Great feats/Expeditions
Atomic research

Honesty
Books
Newspapers/Media
Business/Advertising

Self Control
Body/Appetites/Emotions
Poetry
Singing/Dance/Speech

Resourcefulness
Frontier Life
Inventions/Simple Machines
Energy/Electricity
Industrial Revolution

Joy/Cheerfulness
Environment
Humor/Laughter
Gratitude/Contentment
Suffering











No comments: