Saturday, September 1, 2012

Summer is drawing to a close...

I can see the start of school year 2012-13 on my calendar and am so excited to start on Tuesday! I have a lot of fun things planned for this fall. We are going to learn about the Founding Fathers, government, the electoral process and presidents! I am also going to attempt to be better about studying music and art with the girls, and keeping Wesley occupied during school instead of continually throwing food at him and pulling my hair out in frustration.

We've had a great summer. Busy, but not so busy I couldn't keep up. We balanced our busy weeks with some chill weeks. We didn't really go anywhere, but still took many day trips, although the kids did go to Astoria for two full weeks.

I have realized though that Caley may do better with a schedule like we have in school. She is 7.5 and over the summer started to do some of her old behaviors like refusing to put on shoes or complain that her clothes don't feel right. Issues I thought we had overcome. So I'm excited to see how she does over the next few weeks as we ease into a new structure to our days.

I also am going to make a better effort at being "selfish" with my/our time. If I say yes to anything and everything, school just isn't going to go very well. Examining my motives will be a discipline I get to work on.

Mommy's goals for this school year, posted here for my personal benefit (not to boast but to keep myself accountable):
-Wake up earlier than the kids (5am) to spend time with Jesus, workout, and get a head start on the day
-Keep "school time" sacred and not obligate our time to other things without good reason
-Make yummy, nutritious meals throughout the year, with healthy snacks throughout each day to keep the kid's minds sharp
(I'll add more to this list as the year goes on.)

No comments: