Thursday, September 13, 2012

Two weeks in!

It's been two weeks in the new school year and so far things are going well. It obviously hasn't been perfect, I've lost my shizz at least twice, we haven't done everything I planned on the day I planned it for, but we have been learning, having fun, reading lots of books, and doing life.

A few things I've learned:
1. Having a schedule really helps. I put together a schedule for myself and the girls. The girl's each includes the subjects they're doing each day (the same each day except art and music on Fridays), and mine includes my commitments and chores for each day. We have a big house and it's a challenge to keep up with the housework. So on my daily schedule I assigned myself one or two chores, taking into account I probably don't want to wash the floor the day before women's group (read: messy kids everywhere). So: Sunday- review school plan and prepare and plan meal/grocery list, Monday- grocery day, Tuesday- laundry wash and fold and clean bathrooms (alternating upstairs and downstairs for now), Wednesday- wash hardwoods, Thursday- vacuum all carpets, Friday- monthly chore like clean out car, fridge, or dusting.
2. This is my "job." When I think of homeschooling my children and running my household as a "job" it's easier to take seriously and keep my time sacred. This involves, mainly, saying no to things. Sorry, I can't do this-or-that, we have school. Obviously there are exceptions, and we're only 2 weeks in so we'll see how this realistically works out, but I am practicing being more "selfish" with our time.
3. Number 1 and 2 are easier when I have planned "Mommy time" i.e. women's group. My weekly gathering with other Christian women is essential to my sanity. It reminds me of who I am first and foremost: a lover of Jesus Christ. I adore opening up my home each week to upwards of 12 ladies and their children to study the Bible and build community. It's also essential that I have face-to-face interactions with others, as much as I adore my children.
4. Getting up earlier than the kids also helps. I am still working on this habit. The days that I do drag myself out of bed at 5am, workout, and have prayer time are usually smoother and easier to deal with. But I do love sleeping in. Hoping to refine this habit throughout this year so that's it's just second-nature.


1 comment:

pbales said...

Hoping for a great school year for all of you.
Grama and Papa