Friday, November 13, 2009

Weekly Wrap Up: Reading Success!

It was such an encouraging week for us with Caley's reading. Things have seemed to click and she's understanding so much more, especially with blending the letter sounds into actual words. When she succeeds it's so much more enjoyable for me to teach her, and I'm so thankful to be the one teaching her to read because I would hate to be missing this part of her education.
So we had a good week. Here's how it went:
Monday my friend Mani watched the girls for a few hours as a birthday present to me. It was really wonderful of her, thank you Mani! I skipped off to prepare for my bible study and wander through a bookstore, it was very enjoyable! We also made a "Thankful Tree" with cards and pictures of things we are thankful for. A few of my favorites of Caley's were "the baby in Mommy's tummy" and "that Jesus died for me." Amelia did some cute drawings of boats and water, and she also colored her hands and face. :)



Tuesday we did our usual routine but I squeezed the reading book in before naptime and Caley did so well! It was so encouraging! She sight-read a few words like "little" and "sand" and did a nice job blending. I will try to get a video of her reading up soon. I should also mention that the reading book is also giving us opportunities to talk about other words that are the same as what we read, noticing that many words are the same except for a letter or two (rhyming), learning that pronouns tell us about the characters in stories (when "she" is used we know the character is a girl), and using words in a sentence. These are essential concepts she needs to know and it makes reading so much more fun when it actually means something!
Wednesday we did errands and while on a trip at Target smelled some body sprays. There were about 6 scents on an end-cap and we smelled all of them and picked which one we liked best. We could tell what it would smell like because of the picture on the bottle, it was a fun exercise in the girls using their senses.
Thursday we had playgroup at our house and it was a very small group, which was really nice too. The girls used their feeling sense to identify objects in a bag, and they did the memory verse of 1 Chronicles 29:13 "Our God we give thanks, we praise your glorious name." They also made a foam turkey hand and Caley did most of it by herself, including cutting out her handprint. I was very impressed! They also got to learn about and explore wheat, and later Caley pointed out the wheat on a box of crackers. It's so fun to see her remember things! Later in the day we played Shape Shuffle, a new game from Value Village where the girls match shapes on cards. It's perfect preschool math! Oh and by the way, the book selection at VV is totally rad and cheap! I got 10 classic books I can't wait to share reading with the girls as they age.

Friday we went to Noelle's birthday party which was a ladybug theme and had a great time. Rachael had the girls decorate the ladybug cake with candies, and Lenora and Caley played together especially well which is such a blessing! A year ago I was worried they would never get along. Thankfully I was wrong. I also got to snuggle with Rachael's nephew Evan, he is so cute! My baby was kicking while he was sleeping on me, as if to say, "Hey! That's my mommy!" Afterward they went to Fred Meyer Playland and I got an hour "off" to plan my bible study, it was great! They had fun and I was very productive. Later we did her reading book again and she again showed how much she's learned and how things have clicked.
This week also, Adam has been staying here and the girls love having him here. They say, "Hello Little Little Adam!" and love giving him hugs and kisses.
Hope you had a good week!

No comments: