Saturday, November 7, 2009

Weekly Wrap Up: Sick Week and Well Week

















I'm a bit behind on updating what we've been doing...sorry blog world.
The week of Halloween the sickness hit our family, and it felt like a ton of bricks. When Mommy's not feeling well, not much gets done. Great Grandma Evelyn did visit for a few days which was very fun and the girls loved having her here, and thankfully she didn't get sick. It allowed me a few days of naps without worrying about the girls, thank you Grandma! Wednesday of that week was "Movie Day" and Caley was so excited! She said, "Thanks for being a nice mommy and letting us watch movies all day." My friend commented, "At least she said thank you." Toward the end of the week I was feeling better and we did a lot of reading books, and it was wonderful to snuggle up with my girls on the couch and share a good book. We also had finished Charlotte's Web so we began The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, the original version, by L. Frank Baum. We watched the Judy Garland movie too. Currently we are on chapter 7 and the Cowardly Lion has joined the group. Caley really seems to enjoy it, especially the beautiful color illustrations by W.W. Denslow. It is a sincere hope of mine that my girls (and this baby boy, and any other children we may be blessed with) love and appreciate literature. It is with this hope I am looking into curricula for next year and beyond, there are a few I will talk about another time.

Last week we were all feeling much better and got back on track with activities. Here's how the week went:
Monday we did handwriting and tracing shapes on a whiteboard. We also played Boggle Jr and Caley did a wonderful job of finding the correct letters, even using the timer. In the afternoon we visited Baby Ethan, their friend Bekah's new baby brother. They mostly played with Bekah while I got to snuggle little Ethan, he's such a sweetie!!
Tuesday we went to women's group, and Wednesday we babysat at another women's group. I had a OB appointment early in the day so Caley went to James' house to play and Amelia came with me to the appointment. It involved a blood draw, so I didn't want to wrangle both of them while being strapped to a chair with a needle in my arm. Good call.
Thursday we went to playgroup and I had planned the activities. It was a fun morning of potato prints, making butter from whipping cream, playing with friends, and smelling scents in baby food jars. They smelled vingar, lemon, vanilla, soy sauce, and orange. The girls had a great time and it was fun to see all their friends after being stuck in a house for so long the previous week. We had to miss the pumpkin patch outing, which thankfully I didn't tell them about, so they didn't miss much. I missed getting pictures of them in the fields with their friends, it'd become somewhat of a tradition.
















Friday we did activities and I tested Caley on her handwriting. That is, asking her to write a letter and not helping in any way. She competently did C, L, M, S, H, Y and Z. I'm sure there are others she can do, these were just the ones I picked for that day. We also made real potato heads and creations with marshmallows and toothpicks. Amelia mostly ate the marshmallows...but Caley understood the architecture part and didn't eat them. Friday afternoon we hauled to Bellevue to visit my cousin Amy and her son James at the playland at Bellevue Square. Amy generously gave us 5 garbage bags full of baby boy clothes! This little man is going to be set! It was so fun sorting them and putting them in his closet and drawers. Boy clothes are so cute!

It was a fun week and it's nice to be back to normal.

No comments: