Sunday, November 22, 2009

Weekly Wrap Up: A Week of Firsts

We had many "firsts" this week, and it was a very fun week!

Monday we did school at home and did some fun projects such as counting with stickers, making a turkey hand (which Caley cut and glued independently!), handwriting and drawing shapes, letter sorting and the reading book. We also did some dancing. It was also the first night of our new new community group meeting at our house. Caley and Amelia had a lot of fun playing with their friends, including their new friends Mina and Max. Mina is almost 5 and Max is almost 3 and their parents are expecting a new baby a week before we expect baby boy Gerlach to arrive. Perfect!

Tuesday we did our usual women's group and the girls also played Starfall and Sesame Street. They really enjoy the playlists on sesamestreet.org and I love how I am able to monitor what they're watching and learning. God also taught me that I should not get prideful of my skills as a parent, because when I do, He'll be sure to knock me down and make me humble. I was especially grateful for my women's group this week.

Wednesday we finally made time to attend the library storytime. It's been about a month since our schedule has allowed us to attend, and I know the girls had a fun time. The theme was monkeys and the girls did a wonderful job of attending to Teacher Monica and sitting quietly during the stories.

Thursday we had playgroup and did a bunch of Thanksgiving activities. We also talked about what we are thankful for and how we can be a blessing to others using the blessings God has given us. We collected food to donate to the Mukilteo Food Bank and also made pilgrim and Indian hats and bonnets. Thursday night I took Caley to her first play at a local middle school! (She'd been to a play as a 6-month-old baby, but this one is the first she'll probably remember.) We saw "Cinderella" at Evergreen Middle School in Everett. It was very well done, especially considering the kids are 6th-8th graders! Caley got to practice sitting quietly and applauding at the appropriate times, and we both got all dressed up for it!





Friday we had friends over for a meeting so the girls got to play with other kids. In lieu of doing the Phonics book we did Caley's reading with a storybook and I had her read some of the words. It was more difficult than I thought it'd be, I think partially because the font is different than in the Engelmann book. The Engelmann book starts with "funny" font that is more phonetic and gradually changes to regular font. It will just be a matter of time until she can transfer. However she is doing very well at gathering information from the text and understanding the pictures, which is a great reading skill to have.

Friday night Caley attended her first sleepover! Her friend Bella turned 4 and had a few girls over. Caley has had friends spend the night here before but she's never slept at someone else's house without us, except at Grama and Papa's and Nana and Grampa's. I think I was more nervous than she was! She did great!

Saturday morning on the way home from the party we all got our hair cut, and it was Amelia's first haircut! I was a little nervous, but she did great! And best of all she and Caley look super cute with a bob.
So it was a fun week! Hope you had a good one too!

No comments: